Friday, February 6, 2009

Bloody Careers...

Okay, so yesterday and day before yesterday was Career Fair.

Now since you all know I'm graduating REALLY soon (if everything's fine with my FYP), most of my friends have been spending hours in the Career Fair, trying hard not to let the best opportunity slip out of hands, some already have their resume written, interviewed on the spot, some even got their job before this Career Fair thingy...

Where was I?

Nice question. I was the one that has not written my resume, has not got into any interviews, has not been looking for jobs! Hmm, well, at least I've been to the Career Fair, for half an hour..

After the walk out of the Fair, I do realize most companies nowadays, despite the bad economy, are paying Fresh grads quite well(SGD2,700 - SGD4,000) REGARDLESS of their results. At least that's what they say, according to them Government has around 800 vacancies left for us... All above I'm refering to civil engineering posts.

Lucrative, I would say..

But what's holding me back? I don't know. I don't have the motivations to work, not only as an engineer. More specifically, I'm not buying the ideas to work 9-5.. I like & love what I'm working on now. What the hell, I'm risking my future for this shit! 

I thought I've already sorted it out within myself, that I'd never put myself in such dilemmas again, to work or not to work. But this Career Fair ignites the fear deep down my heart, once again, especially seeing so many of my surroundings looking for jobs, newspapers, online, resume writings, they even talk about it most of the time! 

Furthermore, I'm not only bearing my own consequences, this decision of mine, involves my parent, my uncles and aunts(they ask everytime!), my friends, my girlfriend, and also her parents(lol..).. I'm not making this decisions alone.

All these thoughts, they'll come blowing my mind once in a while, and I'll have to shoo them away each and everytime. Why am I so different than others, I'm putting my future at stake, am I missing something? Did I get the whole concept wrongly? I'm not doubting myself, I know I can work this out, but it seems that with my current progress, time is a significant factor. The fact that I'm graduating soon.

3 comments:

  1. baby, you're not alone. Believe in yourself for YOU ARE DIFFERENT! :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I get the same thoughts drifting past my mind.

    What the hell do I want in life? A job that pays a lot of money, or a job that I enjoy? What if I don't even want a career? What if I say I just want to travel the world and volunteer?

    At least you know there's something you like and love now. I don't know what's that obviously but if it's not going to give you a 9-5 job, how about be an entrepreneur?? :D

    "Hi, my name is Joe Tan, I am an entrepreneur." :P

    Ya da da, choices in life. Anyhow, Gill's there for you yea? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, such decisions are the ones that we have to make each and every day, just that this one comes with a bit more responsibility. Hence my worries.

    Anyway, thanks for both your motivations. I always believe in myself, and I'll stay on my path..

    ReplyDelete